OLED display overviewThe OLED display module is a high contrast, 256 x 64 pixel, white-on-black, graphic OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display with a 3.12 inch (diagonal) screen. The OLED display was released in June 2018 for use with Tortuga Audio’s LDR.V25 (“V25”) LDR preamp controller board and V25 versions of Tortuga Audio preamps. The OLED display is also fully compatible with our latest ePot.V3 Max and Mini stepped attenuator/controllers and related V3 preamp products. With release of the OLED display we discontinued using our earlier dual 7-segment displays. Most V25 based preamps with the earlier 7-segment displays can be upgraded to the OLED display. Please contact us to ask about upgrades. The dimensions below are accurate for the front view. However, the side view does not include the adapter board which sits behind the display panel and is attached to the display panel via the 20 pin header. Designers should provide 1.5 inches of space to accommodate the overall depth of the display including the adapter board and its pin header. Also, please note the IR receiver module (on left side of photo above) which mounts directly to the OLED display interface board. An additional 0.5-0.75 inches of space should be allotted for the IR receiver which needs to face outwards next to the display panel.
3 versionsThe are 3 versions of the OLED display (A, B & C) with C being the current production version. The relevant similarities and differences are as follows:
- All three use the identical underlying OLED display
- Physical differences are solely in the attached adapter board used to interface Tortuga Audio's preamp controller boards.
- Version A uses a parallel communication interface via its 14 pin header.
- Versions B and C both use a serial SPI communications interface using the same 14 pin header.
- All versions use the same 14 pin OLED header connection and ribbon cable.
- Version A interface board had an additional 10 pin header that is absent from versions B and C.
- The only difference between B and C is the location and orientation of the 14 pin header.
- Version A OLED displays will only work with Version A V25 preamp controller boards
- Versions B and C OLED displays will both work with either Version B or C V25 preamp controller boards and with all ePot.V3 controller boards.
OLED display moduleThe OLED display is composed of several parts starting with the display module proper which is shown in the photo above along with its dimensions. The display module is a glass OLED screen attached to a green rectangular circuit board with a 20 pin interface header and mounting holes in each corner. A custom adapter board is mounted behind the main circuit board via the 20 pin header. The adapter board has a 14 pin header for connecting the OLED display to the preamp controller board via a ribbon cable. The OLED display adapter board also serves as the mounting point for the IR receiver module (3 hole solder pads) and for connecting the encoder module (4 pin header). All power/signals for both the IR receiver module and encoder module are connected to the preamp controller through the single 14 pin header & ribbon cable (Rev B & C) that also carries the power/signals for the display itself.
OLED ribbon cableThe OLED cable is a 2x7 IDC ribbon cable that connects the 14 pin OLED.J2 header on the display module and the corresponding OLED header on V25/V3 controller boards. The ribbon cable carries the following signals:
- 3.3V power
- SPI display select
- SPI clock
- SPI data
- IR receiver
- Encoder leg A
- Encoder leg B
- Encoder push button
- Panel LED (V3 Mini only)
- Panel LED enable (V3 Mini only)