Welcome to our new support forum!

It ‘s new  and a  bit lean but you can fix that. Jump in! Ask a question. Ask for help. Post a review. Let us hear from you. And thanks for stopping by.  We also have an a long established  forum on AudioCircle.com that has plenty of content and we invite you to visit us there as well.  – Morten

Visit our forum here as well. 

Volume control via …

Notifications
Clear all

Volume control via remote when using Logitech Harmony  

Customer
(@david-woodward)

I don’t have an apple remote, but have successfully ‘programmed’ my logitech harmony 900 remote to be an apple remote. It all works very well, apart from one minor issue. It must be my OCD but if anyone can confirm if this is just the way things are or maybe more a specific characteristic of using the Logitech unit rather than the original. If I double tap or hold the volume up or down, the display sometimes jumps from even numbers to odd numbers. There is no way to move 1 unit at a time and it can get ‘stuck’ on odds, which can only be corrected with more quick double tapping. 

Any info around this would be helpful. I can ‘fine tune’ the Harmony with different delays and ‘raw mode’ but before I start doing this I would welcome some info how things work with the original apple remote. Thanks

3 Replies
2 Replies
Admin
(@morten)

Posted by: @david-woodward

I don’t have an apple remote, but have successfully ‘programmed’ my logitech harmony 900 remote to be an apple remote. It all works very well, apart from one minor issue. It must be my OCD but if anyone can confirm if this is just the way things are or maybe more a specific characteristic of using the Logitech unit rather than the original. If I double tap or hold the volume up or down, the display sometimes jumps from even numbers to odd numbers. There is no way to move 1 unit at a time and it can get ‘stuck’ on odds, which can only be corrected with more quick double tapping. 

Any info around this would be helpful. I can ‘fine tune’ the Harmony with different delays and ‘raw mode’ but before I start doing this I would welcome some info how things work with the original apple remote. Thanks

Arguably the timing of an Apple remote key press (raise/lower volume) tends to jump a couple volume steps unless you’re quick on the press/release. Part of the challenge with the Apple remote is that it generates a command repeat if the key press is held down just a tad too long…which is not very long at all. So you get the original key press plus quick on its heels you get a repeat command, hence the double hit….all odd or all even moves. I suspect the Logitech remote is emulating the Apple remote fairly accurately or maybe it has even more of a fast trigger. We’ve made several attempts at slowing this down but there are complex timing issues involved.

We have finally solved this in the next generation V3 controller but to do so we had to add a real time operating system (RTOS) that our application code runs on top of. The RTOS makes it possible to reliably control the response rate. The new V3/RTOS system will eventually be retrofitted into the V25 controllers but that won’t happen until several months after the V3 controller is released. 

Customer
(@david-woodward)

Posted by: @morten
Posted by: @david-woodward

Arguably the timing of an Apple remote key press (raise/lower volume) tends to jump a couple volume steps unless you’re quick on the press/release. Part of the challenge with the Apple remote is that it generates a command repeat if the key press is held down just a tad too long…which is not very long at all. So you get the original key press plus quick on its heels you get a repeat command, hence the double hit….all odd or all even moves. I suspect the Logitech remote is emulating the Apple remote fairly accurately or maybe it has even more of a fast trigger. We’ve made several attempts at slowing this down but there are complex timing issues involved.

We have finally solved this in the next generation V3 controller but to do so we had to add a real time operating system (RTOS) that our application code runs on top of. The RTOS makes it possible to reliably control the response rate. The new V3/RTOS system will eventually be retrofitted into the V25 controllers but that won’t happen until several months after the V3 controller is released. 

Quick update. I have replaced my old harmony 900 with an ultimate. Which is a next generation universal remote from Logitech, using a hub to communicate via. Selecting the repeat speed to the lowest setting (as I had done with the 900) I now find it moving volume by single increments. So very happy with that. Also got my google assistant nest controlling the harmony which controls the Tortuga. So now voice activated too. 

(@jodymusto)

Hello….I utilize two 8351 in my lounge room in an unadulterated computerized design and the remote 9101AM (out of creation for a few times) for advanced volume control. Neither the 9310AM nor a PC running GLM are feasible options for a home sound system arrangement. OTOH all my A/V gadgets are constrained by tablet/cell phone bolstered by a Logitech Harmony Hub + Companion, with one special case: the computerized volume control of the 8351.

Share:

Scroll to Top