Welcome to our new support forum!

It ‘s new  and a  bit lean but you can fix that. Jump in! Ask a question. Ask for help. Post a review. Let us hear from you. And thanks for stopping by.  We also have an a long established  forum on AudioCircle.com that has plenty of content and we invite you to visit us there as well.  – Morten

Visit our forum here as well. 

Notifications
Clear all

Calibration | V2 Preamp Controller  

Page 1 / 2

(@germamiga)
Member Customer

Hello,
I have had an LDR3x.V2.1 Passive Preamp Controller for 5 years
but I have concerns about imbalance.
who knows the procedure to make a “recalibration” with the resistances?
thank you

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Morten Sissener
ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2020 7:00 am
(@morten)
Member Admin

The procedure to start calibration with the V2 model preamp controller is to press the Center button on the remote while the controller is turned off. The LDR number will be shown on the left 2-digit display while the calibration step number will be shown on the right 2-digit display. Calibration will still work even if you don’t have a display but it’s very difficult to tell what’s happening. If the channel imbalance is due to an LDR having drifted then running calibration should correct this. If the calibration process does not complete (gets stuck part way through) that’s an indication one of the LDRs needs to be replaced. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2020 8:44 am
(@germamiga)
Member Customer

Thank you for your reply !
but I misspoke.
indeed I had a faulty ldr, I changed it.
I was talking about pre-calibration!
on the site there was a module to position in place of the ldr to do this.
but where to find it? or is there a procedure?
thank you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2020 2:35 pm
(@morten)
Member Admin

@germamiga  Precalibration is intended to be a one-time only procedure to normalize all the hardware to a few known resistance levels. Something we do here in our shop as part of commissioning new controllers. I really don’t want to encourage anyone to do this because it is too easy  to make mistakes and once you’ve messed up the precal factors nothing else will work right until they are made right. So my question is why do you think you need to do this? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2020 3:56 pm
(@germamiga)
Member Customer

yes i understand the question.
well, i have two v2.1 xlr cards.
I tested a transistor preamp, and I don’t have “this imbalance” that I have with the LDR preamp.
for example I have to do +4 on the right.
not with the transsistor preamp.
the voices are centered, but I have the impression of an imbalance with the instruments, which seem to me only on one side!
I changed 4 ldr to be sure.
and of course I recalibrated each time, testing by plugging the outputs, unplugging, ect …… 10 / 20 / 30 /40 /50 impedance.
so can there be a difference between the two cards?

but I’m ready to send it to you for verification!

cordially

This post was modified 3 months ago by GERVIER
ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2020 4:20 pm
(@morten)
Member Admin

@germamiga  It’s possible the 2 boards are not normalized to the same output level and it’s also possible that re-running precal on both boards might improve or eliminate that imbalance altogether. Or just use the +4 channel balance correction as you’re doing now which accomplishes the same thing except you have to convince yourself not to be annoyed with that adjustment staring you in the face 😉  Or you can send the boards back and we’ll rerun precal on them. Or finally I can provide you the detailed instructions to do this yourself. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2020 3:33 pm
(@germamiga)
Member Customer

hello, and thank you for your help.
well as I have this imbalance, it persuades me that there is a problem.
therefore, I am not serene.
so if you want to give me procedure? I only have a display.
I think it’s better to have two displays?

I can test, and if I can’t, then will you send back the two cards only?

thank you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/05/2020 4:37 am
(@morten)
Member Admin

@germamiga  Here is a link to the V2 Precalibration procedure. We are in the process of rewriting and reorganizing our online documentation so this link isn’t yet published on our website. Once you’ve looked this over you can decide how you wish to proceed. We would need your 2 V2.1 boards and your Apple remote to do this procedure here in our shop.  https://www.tortugaaudio.com/docs/v2-precalibration/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/05/2020 11:00 am
(@germamiga)
Member Customer

thank you, in any case it can be interesting.
yes I can send, and I would prefer, what annoys me is that you have to disassemble everything because it is in a case and welded connectors.
or else I send you everything except the internal transformer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2020 2:07 am
(@germamiga)
Member Customer

I allow myself to send you photos of my integration in a box.
there are two missing xlr in the back that I have to install.
the other reason also that I do not understand, is that, on the left channel when the preamplie is off, I still hear the sound very slightly.
I don’t hear it at all on the right lane.
however the 4 ldr have been changed.
I also specify that the calibrations are going very well, and quickly.

thank you Morten for your help, it’s a pleasure not to feel alone !!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2020 12:48 pm
(@germamiga)
Member Customer

another

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2020 12:49 pm
(@germamiga)
Member Customer

another

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2020 12:51 pm
(@morten)
Member Admin
Posted by: @germamiga

thank you, in any case it can be interesting.
yes I can send, and I would prefer, what annoys me is that you have to disassemble everything because it is in a case and welded connectors.
or else I send you everything except the internal transformer.

Having seen the photo of the unit and the way the 2 boards are packed in there it’s not obvious that we would have easy access to the boards and may end up having to disassemble the board assembly. Might be easier/cheaper for you to do that and just send us the 2 boards. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2020 7:30 pm
(@germamiga)
Member Customer

yes of course, you’re right, so I’ll disassemble and send you both cards with the io cards.

so you can test, and I would be on the right function, and the right pairing of the two cards!

of course I will pay the time spent.

Can you give me the address?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2020 4:24 am
(@morten)
Member Admin
Posted by: @germamiga

yes of course, you’re right, so I’ll disassemble and send you both cards with the io cards.

so you can test, and I would be on the right function, and the right pairing of the two cards!

of course I will pay the time spent.

Can you give me the address?

I recommend you only send the V2 boards and do not include the IO boards since the IO boards will not be used for our work here. 

Shipping address: 

Tortuga Audio

1318 SE 47th St

Cape Coral, FL 33914 

USA

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2020 9:28 am
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Scroll to Top